Texas Marriage License FAQs

Q1: What is the legal age to obtain a Marriage License?
A: 18 without parental consent
16 with parental consent

Q2:How much does a Marriage License cost
A: The fee for the license is $75.00

Q3: Can two people of the same sex get married?
A: Same sex marriages are not legal in the state of Texas.

Q4: When can we get married after we purchase the license?
A: The license must be purchased at least 72 hours prior to but no more than 1 month before the date of the ceremony.

Q5: How long do we have to use the Marriage License?
A: The license expires at the end of the 30-day period immediately following the date that the license was issued if the marriage ceremony has not been conducted within that period.

Q6: Who can marry us?
A: The following people are authorized to conduct marriage ceremonies:
Licensed or ordained Christian ministers, and priests; Jewish rabbis;
Persons who are officers of religious organizations and who are duly authorized by the organization to conduct marriage ceremonies.
Justices of the supreme Court, judges of the court of criminal appeals, justices of the court of appeals, judges of the district, county, and probate courts, judges of the county court at law, courts of domestic relations and juvenile courts, retired justices and judges of such courts, justices of the peace, retired justices of the peace, and judges and magistrates of the federal courts of this state.

Q7: Is this Marriage License only good in Harris County?
A: The Marriage License is good in every county in the state of Texas.

Q8: What kind of ID. do we need to get a license?
A: You must have a valid id such as a drivers license, Id card issued by DPS, valid passport, resident alien card, or other government issued identification.

Q9: Will we need to bring witnesses?
A: You do not need to bring witnesses to obtain the Marriage license.

Q10: Where can we purchase a Marriage License?
A: Main Office, 201 Caroline, 3rd Floor of Administration Building (713) 755-6411
Branch Offices
Baytown. .701 W. Baker Road, Baytown (281) 422-0253
Chimney Rock . . 6000 Chimney Rock, Houston (713) 660-7902
Clay Road. . 16715 Clay Road, Houston (281) 859-0685
Clear Lake . . 16603 Buccaneer, Clear Lake (281) 486-7250
Cypresswood. . 6831 Cypresswood Dr., Houston (281) 379-1057
Humble . . 7900 Will Clayton Parkway, Humble (281) 540-1173
N. Shepherd. .7300 North Shepherd, Houston (713) 697-5193
Pasadena . .107 E. Shaw, Pasadena (713) 473-9048
South Belt . .10851 Scarsdale, Houston (281) 464-0115

Q11:If my boyfriend /girlfriend is in jail, can we still get married?
A: Yes, but you need to obtain an ABSENT APPLICATION form from one of our locations, take it to that person, have them fill it out and have it notarized. The instructions for this form are listed on the back of it. The form and the instructions can also be printed from the Downloadable forms page of our Web Site.

Q12: If my boyfriend/girlfriend is in the military, do we still have to wait 72 hours?
A: The 72 hour waiting period is automatically waived for military personnel. However you will need to show your military ID.

Q13: Do we need to have a blood test performed?
A: No blood test is required in the State of Texas anymore.

On the next business day, I mail or hand deliver it to the county clerk’s office where it was issued. I also keep a copy for my records. After it is processed, the clerk’s office will send you a certified copy in the mail. It is possible that it will take approximately a month to receive the certification in the mail from the county,